2021 January - Xiao Zhan on Chongqing

Chongqing is a city of fog, surrounded by mountains and rivers, its skyscrapers and green mountains are like a reinforced concrete forest.

The fog that shrouds her after the rain also added a sense of mystery, the light rail flying along the eaves and walls comes and goes freely through the forest, echoing along with the Yangtze River, over and over again, rushing endlessly.

They said, "Come and tell us, what's good about your hometown." This question stumped me when it was asked.

In with my limited words, I really don't know how to describe the place I grew up in. My hometown, How can I introduce you? 

I grew up on the bank of the Yangtze River, where the two rivers nurtured us. The people of Chaotianmen (朝天门), lean on the stone steps and watched the two rivers meet, half green and half red. In the distance, the troops of Bangbangjun (棒棒军) are already busy with sweat, The ropeway across the river is full of young people going to work.

They are in a hurry, eating breakfast in their hands, climbing up the slope as their day starts. The Jiefangbei that my parents like to take me to when I was a child can be seen from far away from the Changjiang Bridge.

The rising skyscrapers and oversized overhanging billboards in Yuzhong Peninsula are surrounded by mist. These tall buildings are like her guardians. In the evening, the city is lit up with lights, and business in the night market is booming. In front of endless delicious food, people seem to forget the day's work, two or three friends may get together and fill the place with cheers and laughter.

The difference is that the teahouse by the riverside is like a safe haven, hidden in the downtown area, and only the Jiang Bridge can be seen from a distance.

In this city, you don't need to restrain or feel disturbed. Whether you are happy or sad, just as how the two rivers meet, she can be wonderfully tolerant.

Countless young people are working hard in this city, and there are also countless others who have chosen to leave to make their own way, but no matter what their choice is, the unconquerable spirit and tenacity in the bones which she gives to everyone, will never change.

When I was a child, the elders would tell me that the Bayu people had been competing with the mountains all their lives, climbing the hills every day, never bowing to difficulties! Every Chongqing 

native has a tough and scorching hot heart, and this spirit will last forever.

Let each of us be not afraid of life, let's embrace life and love life! 

You can say that this city is an "Internet sensation". But I prefer to call her "jianghu", it's a city that's full of passion, yet gentle and delicate! This is my hometown Chongqing, the place where I was born and raised! She is good.

So how is my hometown good?

I don't think I can explain it fully. You should come.

END

Chaotianmen (朝天门)

The steps mentioned by Xiao Zhan

half green and half red




Bangbangjun (棒棒军) 棒棒军 is a name for a particular group of porters or movers. Since Chongqing is a mountain city, roads are steep and there are a lot of stairs, these Bangbangjun carry heavy loads all over the city for a living, using one-meter long bamboo sticks on their shoulders. Two blue nylon ropes are tied to the stick.

A Bangbang in Chaotianmen


Jiefangbei 
The downtown center that surrounds the People's Liberation Monument (World War II victory)



Yuzhong Peninsula and Jiang River Bridge


Bayu people:




Popular posts from this blog

2020 April - Why Xiao Zhan?

2020 April - "Chongqing Boy" Xiao Zhan: I will sing "Ode to the Red Plum Blossoms" in my heart to you. The colder it is, the more it blossoms, symbolizing our national spirit.

The Wolf PD Chen Yushan Interview - Xiao Zhan Focus Only